First Lady Oluremi Tinubu has called for increased investment in second-chance education to enable girls whose schooling has been disrupted by early pregnancy, economic hardship, cultural barriers and other challenges return to school and build productive futures.
Tinubu made the call on Friday while commissioning the rehabilitated Alternative High School for Girls in Agboju, Amuwo-Odofin, Lagos, urging governments and other stakeholders to expand opportunities for girls who have been forced out of the formal education system.
The First Lady, who was represented at the ceremony by the wife of the Vice President, Hajia Nana Shettima, commended the Universal Basic Education Commission (UBEC) for rehabilitating and equipping the school.
Established in 2007 by then Lagos State Governor Bola Ahmed Tinubu, the Alternative High School for Girls was created to give girls whose education had been interrupted an opportunity to return to school, complete their secondary education and acquire vocational skills.
Oluremi Tinubu said the initiative had evolved beyond its original purpose, with similar schools now being established in other parts of the country as part of efforts to provide out-of-school girls with renewed opportunities.
She disclosed that another alternative high school was under construction in Ikorodu to serve the Lagos East senatorial district and urged the Lagos State Government to establish a third facility in Lagos Central.
“I therefore urge the Lagos State Government to complete the plan by establishing an additional school in Lagos Central, while ensuring the smooth operation and proper maintenance of all the schools so that more girls can complete their education,” she said.
Tinubu also urged the students to seize the opportunity provided by the school and refuse to allow their past circumstances to determine their future.
She stressed that determination, discipline and hard work could enable them to achieve their ambitions and contribute meaningfully to national development.
The First Lady commended Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu and his wife, Dr Ibijoke Sanwo-Olu, for their support for education and the rehabilitation of the facility before formally commissioning the renovated school.
Representing the governor, Dr Ibijoke Sanwo-Olu described the commissioning as a “homecoming”, recalling that the institution was established in 2007 when Oluremi Tinubu was Lagos State First Lady.
She said the school had since become a model for restoring educational opportunities to girls whose schooling was interrupted by early pregnancy, economic difficulties and cultural barriers.
According to her, the institution has helped many young women return to education, obtain their Senior Secondary School Certificates and acquire vocational and life skills.
“Since then, this institution has quietly restored dignity and destiny to countless young women, guiding them back to the Senior Secondary School Certificate and equipping them with skills and values for life,” she said.
She noted that graduates of the school had gone on to become professionals, entrepreneurs and mothers, describing their achievements as evidence of the impact of second-chance education.
Sanwo-Olu assured that the Lagos State Government would sustain the rehabilitated facility and preserve its mission of providing a pathway back into education for girls who had been left behind.
“Educating a girl, as you all know, is educating a family, a community, and a nation,” she said.
She pledged that the school would remain a “sanctuary of second chances” and serve as a model for broader efforts to reach out-of-school children across Lagos.
The Commissioner for Basic and Secondary Education, Jamiu Tolani Alli-Balogun, urged the students to look beyond their present circumstances and pursue their ambitions with confidence.
He told them that their past challenges should not determine their future, noting that they could become teachers, doctors, engineers, entrepreneurs, scientists, lawyers, public servants, innovators and community leaders.
“The nation is awaiting what you will become,” he told the students.
Alli-Balogun commended Oluremi Tinubu, the Federal Government, UBEC, teachers, parents and other stakeholders for their contributions to the initiative and reaffirmed the state’s commitment to providing quality and inclusive education for girls.
The ceremony also featured the presentation of gifts and empowerment items to outstanding students. Ten of the best-performing students in various vocational departments received prizes, while graduating students in skills programmes received support in areas including catering, makeup, cosmetology, hairdressing and gele-making.
A deep freezer was also presented to the school by the wife of the Vice President.
The rehabilitation of the Agboju school marks a renewed effort to strengthen a model that has provided girls whose education was interrupted with a pathway back to secondary education, vocational training and greater economic opportunity.


