By Amofokhai Williams
The death toll in Friday’s tragic school building collapse in Plateau State, Nigeria has reached 22, the state government has said.
The Alarmee reports that the two-storey housing Saint Academy, Jos, Plateau State collapsed on Friday morning with about 120 students, teachers and others said to have been trapped.
Plateau Commissioner for Information, Musa Ashoms, while giving update on the collapse late Friday evening confirmed that the death toll had risen to 22 from 17.
He said the state government expressed its deepest condolences following the tragic building collapse at Saint Academy, saying the collapse resulted in 154 fatalities and injuries, as emergency responders were currently at the scene conducting search and rescue operations.
The commissioner said the current situation as of 6pm, showed that 154 people had been rescued from the debris, while 22 individuals had been confirmed dead, adding that injured students and staff were receiving medical treatment at various hospitals across Jos.
Given a breakdown, Ashoms said at the Plateau State Specialist Hospital (PSSH), 39 people were hospitalised and three deaths, while at Our Lady of Apostles (OLA) Hospital, 32 people were hospitalised and five deaths recorded, adding that at Bingham University Teaching Hospital, 55 people were hospitalised and 14 deaths reported.
He added that at Jos University Teaching Hospital (JUTH), six people were hospitalised and no death recorded
He noted that efforts are ongoing to rescue those who are still trapped in the collapsed building, adding that hospitals in the state have been ordered to prioritise the treatment of the building collapse victims.
Ashoms further stated that the state government activated emergency response protocols immediately upon notification of the incident, saying that emergency services, including the National Emergency Management Agency, State Emergency Management Agency, Red Cross, security agencies, and healthcare professionals had been working collaboratively in search, rescue and resuscitation efforts.
According to him, to ensure prompt medical attention, the government had directed all major hospitals in Jos to prioritise treatment of the victims, regardless of documentation or payment.
He said Governor Mutfwang had specifically instructed these hospitals to accommodate all those affected by the collapse, while emphasizing the importance of adhering to established safety standards in building construction.
He ordered schools and other facility owners with structural concerns to close their facilities immediately, as the Jos Metropolitan Development Board (JMDB) would conduct inspections to prevent similar incidents in the future.