The Defence headquarters has confirmed that 36 military officers were actually killed by bandits in Niger State, Nigeria.
Major General Edward Buba, who is the defence headquarters spokesman said on Thursday, that 36 officers were killed and not the 20 being reported earlier.
He said this while giving update on the tragic incident.
Bandits in Niger State had ambushed the military officers on their way to rescue kidnapped victims. The bandits, operating with superior weapons opened fire on them.
The incident occurred on Monday between Zangiwa and Kangara in Niger State.
Niger State has now become home to deadly terrorists, killing and kidnapping people at will. Hundreds of residents have been killed so far.