By Amofokhai Williams
A deadly shooting just blocks from the White House on Wednesday left two National Guard members dead, prompting a sweeping federal response and raising new security concerns in one of the nation’s most protected zones.
Authorities say the suspected shooter is in custody.
The incident unfolded near 17th Street NW and I Street NW, an area that houses the Eisenhower Executive Office Building and several federal offices.
The BBC reports that Emergency crews transported three victims from the scene, including the two Guardsmen who were later confirmed dead by West Virginia Governor Patrick Morrisey.
“These brave West Virginians lost their lives in the service of their country. West Virginia will never forget their service or their sacrifice, and we will demand full accountability for this horrific act,” Morrisey said.
Speaking hours later at Fort Campbell, Kentucky, Vice President JD Vance urged prayers for the victims, adding that no motive for the attack has yet been identified.
“We don’t know why this happened yet,” Vance told military personnel. “But we’re praying for the families and for everyone affected.”
Earlier reports indicated the Guardsmen exchanged gunfire with the suspect before being shot. The attacker, who was severely injured, was removed from the scene on a stretcher.
FBI Director Kash Patel confirmed agents are actively investigating the shooting.
“The FBI is engaged and assisting with the investigation. Please pray for them,” he wrote on social media.
US Attorney General Pam Bondi also acknowledged the incident, noting that “Federal agents are on the scene of the horrific shooting.”
The National Guard released a statement saying the health and safety of its members is its “top priority” as it works with the Metropolitan Police Department and other law enforcement agencies.
White House Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt said President Donald Trump, who was at his Mar-a-Lago estate in Florida, had been fully briefed and that the administration was “actively monitoring this tragic situation.”
Trump later posted on Truth Social, calling the suspect an “animal” and saying he would “pay a very steep price.”
D.C. Metropolitan Police confirmed the scene was secure and that one suspect was in custody. They warned the public to stay clear of the area as investigators continued their work.
Photos from the scene showed heavily armed National Guardsmen, police tape blocking intersections, and a large emergency response presence.
The FAA briefly stopped flights into Reagan National Airport to allow medevac helicopters to reach the area safely. Normal operations resumed shortly after, though passengers were advised to expect delays.
Details about the suspect and what led to the shooting remain unclear. Authorities have not said whether the attack was targeted or random, and no terrorism indicators have been announced.


